Got Headaches? 3 Things You Need To Do
If you are commonly suffering from headaches, you aren't alone. They're common and occur regularly. However, you shouldn't refer to them as normal and just allow them to occur every day. You shouldn't have to suffer through them. There is a reason they are occurring. You just need to determine why and put a stop to it. In most cases, there is an effective treatment method available for you. In fact, chiropractic care may be one way to treat your headaches. Read on to learn more about identifying what is causing your headaches, how you can help prevent them yourself and what a chiropractor can do for you.
Identify Your Headache Triggers
Your headache is being caused or triggered by something. You need to figure out what it is and stop it in its tracks in order to stop the cycle of your headaches. The trigger can be a number of things. It could be environmental, such as light, stress, or noise. Alternatively, it could be behavioral, such as exercise, insomnia or a change in your blood sugar. It could be being caused by something you ate, muscle tension or something else entirely. If you need help figuring out the cause of your headaches, your doctor can provide professional assistance.
Steps You Can Take
Here are a few things you can do to help prevent headaches:
- Make sure you're drinking plenty of water day in and day out, as dehydration is a headache trigger. On average, it can take between 64 and 80 ounces to replace the amount of water that your body loses within a 24-hour period.
- Try to perform two minutes of strength training on a daily basis. According to one study, this helps to relieve your stiff joints and loosen up your tight muscles, while also increasing your blood circulation. Without those stiff joints and tight muscles in the neck and shoulders, you'll be less likely to experience a headache.
- Relax. Yes, it is hard, but you need to try to sit down and relax more. When you get home from work in the evening, run yourself a hot bath and hop in for 30 minutes. Put on some of your favorite music and don't worry about anything else. Put your mind, body and soul at ease. If you can, join a local yoga or meditation class.
Seek Out the Help of a Chiropractor
In addition to the above, if you continue having headaches, you may want to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor. Believe it or not, evidence shows that a chiropractor is actually more effective than a general practice physician when it comes to treating chronic tension headaches. Chiropractors (such as those from West Omaha Chiropractic & Sports Injury Clinic) can help you relieve your headaches in a few different ways:
- Offer nutritional advice by recommending a diet change.
- Offer advice regarding your posture, relaxation techniques, exercise and ergonomics – all of which will help to relieve any tension and irritation that is occurring constantly on your joints and muscles.
- Perform a manipulation of the spine and/or chiropractic adjustment to alleviate the stress on your body and improve spinal function, which can be done on a regular basis.